Tuesday, November 28, 2006

January's Thaw

In this second volume of my life’s story I attempt, however clumsily, to conclude what I started in the first volume, One Hot January. Here I chronicle the events that lead to my appearance in a future one hundred years removed from where my story began. But there is more, as the opening paragraphs perhaps indicate. Although the backdrop for my story is time travel and an alternate reality, the underlying theme is a more human one — of love lost, another love found only to be lost, and of a decision, the result of a single regret brought about by the realization that my self-professed courage to never risk my heart to love was instead cowardice, to rectify a wrong in a long life filled with regrets.

By the end of this account, assuming you’ve read its predecessor, perhaps you will understand why I risked giving my past self the chance at the happiness that has long eluded me. I failed and my past self paid with his life. Since then I’ve many times considered making another attempt. Was I justified to try even once? You may judge, as it is man’s nature to judge others, but before you do I ask that you read the words that follow and then ask yourself if you would have acted any differently.

-- Joe January

No comments: